Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by TreadmillGuides Team
Whether you’re preparing for a goal or want to engage yourself in cardio activity, it gets confusing whether to choose running on a treadmill or going outside. To get the solution, you must educate yourself about the benefits & drawbacks of treadmill vs road running.
You don’t need to worry because I am presenting here 4 real-life situations which will clear all your confusion.
I have also added scientific studies which talk about different aspects of treadmills & outdoor running. Now, I don’t need to say anything further on this topic, you decide for yourself after reading this article. 🙂
Don’t forget to check:
Treadmill vs Road Running Video Guide
Treadmill vs Road Running: Understanding Real Life Situations
Situation 1. A New Mother
I have gained weight recently. I need to lose these extra kilos to look good as well as remain healthy. But how do I get time to go outside daily with my toddler?
I also have to rejoin my office after maternity leave. Then, I will not get time at all. How do I set a balance between time & fitness? Ugh! We, women always have to sacrifice in something or the other aspect of life. If I manage time, I sacrifice my fitness & vice versa.
Is there a solution which comes at home & easy to follow?
Situation 2. Hectic Lifestyle
My belly is increasing because of sitting too long in the office. But what do I do? I am even short of time when it comes to my sleep. So, I can’t think of waking up ½ hour before my regular time. It’s already will be too late to go outside for jogging. And by the way, there is too much pollution in this city.
I think joining a commercial gym again is good, this way I can walk on the treadmill daily. Again, there is a problem, it takes around 15 mins to go to the gym by car. And if there is traffic, more time is wasted in the evening.
What’s the solution then? Running on treadmill vs outside?
Situation 3. Marathon Preparation
Excited!! I have to prepare for the big day! Marathon is coming! They say it right, training for a marathon is a marathon itself. I need to revise & set my routine. How to divide time for practice runs and adjust strength training in between.
I need to be extra careful not to make poor race-time decisions. My victory depends upon my planning. I should make the race experience more real & challenging. I can buy a nice modern Treadmill for running with inclines. This would be the best decision. I need to research it.
What are these studies suggesting that I must go outside too to get real-world experience? Even if I set the incline up to 12 %, nothing is matching to uphill experience.
Treadmill vs road running?
Situation 4. Knee problems
My father is suffering from knee pain but the doctor has suggested he jog daily due to his heart condition. Jogging outside makes him tired and his knees ache a lot.
What’s the solution?
Solutions for the above Situations: Running on Treadmill vs Outside?
I created four real-life situations for you to understand better the importance of both treadmills and outside running. Few important points to remember:
- Buying a treadmill for home is extremely helpful if you’re a new mother and want your body back. You can learn it from situation 1.
- A home-use treadmill can help you a lot if you’re gaining weight due to your sedentary lifestyle where you have no time for your fitness. And if the commercial gym is not in your society. Notice the situation 2.
- If you suffer from joint pain, a treadmill with good shock absorption is a boon for you. It absorbs ground reaction forces, protects your knees, and lets you work out. You can learn it from situation 4.
- If you’re training for a marathon, running outside is very important while a good semi-commercial treadmill can help you a lot in your training. So, we suggest you include both in your training. You saw it above in situation 3.
More Studies on Treadmill vs Road Running
- You get more control on the treadmill by setting everything (incline, intensity speed) according to your own, whereas in outdoor running you engage more muscles (1). For that reason, you can choose the treadmill in the treadmill vs road running race.
- If we talk about calories burned treadmill vs road running, there are different perceptions of professionals about it. Some say that calories burned are the same in both types of workouts but most of them said that outdoor hill running can burn you 5-7% more calories than treadmill running.
- During monsoons, the treadmill vs road running question goes out of the question itself. It’s clear that treadmill running is better. It also saves you from mud & dirt.
- In case of injuries, outdoor running has more chances to give you injuries. However, in both cases, you should wear a good pair of running shoes.
- If you’re depressed, I recommend you go for outdoor running more from my experience. You will get closer to nature, and sunshine, and get Vitamin D. You can also go with your pet.
- Last but not least, running outside gives you a road-like experience (2). Because a marathon isn’t going to be on a treadmill after all? Don’t you want to make your preparation stronger by facing real challenges? So, what are you going for, treadmill vs running outside?
Conclusion: Treadmill Running vs Outdoor
Buying a treadmill will help you several times in your fitness journey. It will engage you more in cardio activities rather than you choose only outside running.
But, outside running has its benefits & gives your real-life experience.
Therefore, in any case, you should choose both. The treadmill saves your life on your busy days, bad weather, and motivation.
But road running once in a while, especially when you’re preparing for a marathon, is a necessary thing to add to your workout regime.
More from our blog: